Orange County Follows Durham’s Lead, Introduces Juvenile Diversion Program; Other N.C. Counties May Follow | News
News
INDY Week's news blog

Archives | RSS

Monday, April 18, 2016

Orange County Follows Durham’s Lead, Introduces Juvenile Diversion Program; Other N.C. Counties May Follow

Posted by on Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM

click to enlarge kwbs10jh.jpg
North Carolina is the worst place in the country to be arrested as a teenager.

A draconian state law dictates that sixteen- and seventeen-year-olds picked up for misdemeanors as frivolous as littering or marijuana possession are considered adults in the eyes of the criminal justice system. Every year, thousands of North Carolina teenagers start their lives with a criminal record—and all the hardships that entails—because of dumb mistakes they made before they were even allowed to vote or serve their country. This isn't true anywhere else in America besides New York, which bests N.C. by having a "reverse waiver" provision in place that guides such teens from the adult system to juvie under certain circumstances. 

Durham County has been working to combat this unnecessarily harsh law. In 2014, Durham County Chief District Judge Marcia Morey established, with the cooperation of the DA’s office and local law enforcement agencies, a diversion program for these young, small-time offenders. Provided they have no criminal history, they are eligible to participate in a ninety-day program that includes community service and educational court sessions that lay out how damaging (and expensive) their punishment would have been. It’s been extremely successful, with a ninety-eight percent success rate so far. The program has recently expanded to include nonviolent offenders between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one.

Last week, Orange County announced that it would be implementing a similar MDP (misdemeanor diversion program) modeled after Durham’s.

“Rather than issuing a citation or making an arrest where probable cause exists, law enforcement officers in Orange County will instead issue a youth citation that will initiate the diversionary process by directing the youth to contact the MDP Coordinator,” says Orange County’s criminal justice resource manager Caitlin Fenhagen.

Judge James Bryan will preside over the educational court sessions.

“I appreciate that Orange County has nurtured long-standing as well as developing services in the areas of mental health, substance use, literacy, youth-support, mediation and skill-building to address the needs of these court participants as part of their diversion,” Judge Bryan says.

Judge Morey tells the INDY that she’s “delighted” Orange County has decided to adopt the program.

“Although it is not a substitute for North Carolina law to be changed to raise the age of juvenile jurisdiction to eighteen, it is a start,” Morey says.

Morey also notes that several other counties have expressed interest in starting similar diversion programs, including Buncombe, New Hanover, Guilford, Warren, Mecklenburg, and Cumberland.

Tags: , , , , ,

Pin It

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

INDY Week publishes all kinds of comments, but we don't publish everything.

  • Comments that are not contributing to the conversation will be removed.
  • Comments that include ad hominem attacks will also be removed.
  • Please do not copy and paste the full text of a press release.

Permitted HTML:
  • To create paragraphs in your comment, type <p> at the start of a paragraph and </p> at the end of each paragraph.
  • To create bold text, type <b>bolded text</b> (please note the closing tag, </b>).
  • To create italicized text, type <i>italicized text</i> (please note the closing tag, </i>).
  • Proper web addresses will automatically become links.

Latest in News



Twitter Activity

Comments

It's spelled "Zainab Baloch".

by jason0x21 on Baldwin Bows Out of Raleigh At-large Race; All Council Candidates Have Opposition (News)

I live in Durham NC. We have a large growth in the last 6 years. The city have really gotten …

by Margaret Houston on Section 8 Voucher Holders Are Having a Hard Time Finding Housing in Durham (News)

Most Recent Comments

It's spelled "Zainab Baloch".

by jason0x21 on Baldwin Bows Out of Raleigh At-large Race; All Council Candidates Have Opposition (News)

I live in Durham NC. We have a large growth in the last 6 years. The city have really gotten …

by Margaret Houston on Section 8 Voucher Holders Are Having a Hard Time Finding Housing in Durham (News)

@ Hunter23 "A combination of investors and loans" is not specific, and nowhere in the article is the phrase "private …

by RJO_III on North Carolina FC and John Kane Want to Put a Big Ol' Soccer Stadium in Downtown Raleigh (News)

The article clearly states the building would be privately funded with the state/local gov pitching in for infrastructure enhancement. The …

by Hunter23 on North Carolina FC and John Kane Want to Put a Big Ol' Soccer Stadium in Downtown Raleigh (News)

I truly admire the passion and support the message. But it seems standing on an overpass during rush hour traffic …

by Diane Alenezi on High Above I-40, Protesters Call for "Health Care 4 All" (News)

© 2017 Indy Week • 320 E. Chapel Hill St., Suite 200, Durham, NC 27701 • phone 919-286-1972 • fax 919-286-4274
RSS Feeds | Powered by Foundation