Governor Perdue Announces Plan To Keep Group Homes Temporarily Open | News
News
INDY Week's news blog

Archives | RSS

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Governor Perdue Announces Plan To Keep Group Homes Temporarily Open

Posted by on Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Beverly_Perdue_official_photo.jpg
The fix is only temporary, but a just announced plan from Governor Bev Perdue could keep group homes for the low income disabled open through the end of January. A one time injection of $1 million in idle rental-assistance funds will help pay the expenses for nearly 1,400 developmentally and mentally disabled group home residents.

Problems remain, however. Recent changes to Medicaid policy have lowered the payments made to reimburse group caregivers for round-the-clock services like dressing and eating assistance. Faced with decreased payments, group home operators are worried they'll either have to evict residents or shut down altogether.

As reported by our own Bob Geary, legislators created a $39.7 million fund to assist the affected adult care homes during last year's budget negotiations. But language in the bill conspicuously excludes group homes from sharing in the money. Representative Nelson Dollar, Republican chair of the Health and Human Services Committee, has said he was not aware of the exclusion at the time.

The new plan gives lawmakers just a short window with which to come up with a permanent solution, said Perdue. Any amendments to the budget are on hold until the General Assembly reconvenes. Legislators report back to work on January 9.

Pin It

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

INDY Week publishes all kinds of comments, but we don't publish everything.

  • Comments that are not contributing to the conversation will be removed.
  • Comments that include ad hominem attacks will also be removed.
  • Please do not copy and paste the full text of a press release.

Permitted HTML:
  • To create paragraphs in your comment, type <p> at the start of a paragraph and </p> at the end of each paragraph.
  • To create bold text, type <b>bolded text</b> (please note the closing tag, </b>).
  • To create italicized text, type <i>italicized text</i> (please note the closing tag, </i>).
  • Proper web addresses will automatically become links.

Latest in News



Twitter Activity

Comments

Retaliatory fines for activities that are clearly permitted per the posted signage in that court should subject the IJ to …

by Karin Wolman on Raleigh Immigration Attorney Gets $2,510 Fine for Texting in Court (News)

Perhaps the appeal will succeed, but judges are usually reluctant to interfere with another judge's discretion to run a courtroom …

by ct on Raleigh Immigration Attorney Gets $2,510 Fine for Texting in Court (News)

Most Recent Comments

Retaliatory fines for activities that are clearly permitted per the posted signage in that court should subject the IJ to …

by Karin Wolman on Raleigh Immigration Attorney Gets $2,510 Fine for Texting in Court (News)

Perhaps the appeal will succeed, but judges are usually reluctant to interfere with another judge's discretion to run a courtroom …

by ct on Raleigh Immigration Attorney Gets $2,510 Fine for Texting in Court (News)

Wow. This article and the pronouncements by the city council are so staggeringly contrary to reality it would be commical. …

by Craig Stump on City Council Calls on Durham to “Resist Bigotry,” Recommit to Inclusive Values Ahead of Jordan Peterson's DPAC Show (News)

Prosecuting this attorney is a misuse of government resources at a minimum, and at a maximum is retaliatory prosecution that …

by Toni Maschler on Raleigh Immigration Attorney Gets $2,510 Fine for Texting in Court (News)

This is something I've never liked. Judges have far too much power in the legal system, which was never the …

by Timothy Oswald on Raleigh Immigration Attorney Gets $2,510 Fine for Texting in Court (News)

© 2018 Indy Week • 320 E. Chapel Hill St., Suite 200, Durham, NC 27701 • phone 919-286-1972 • fax 919-286-4274
RSS Feeds | Powered by Foundation