Armed and shovel-ready in Raleigh | News
News
INDY Week's news blog

Archives | RSS

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Armed and shovel-ready in Raleigh

Posted by on Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Finally, some stimulus money for the Cap City. For transit? Nope. It's for military operations -- a new N.C. National Guard HQ with room for the Highway Patrol, state Emergency Management and some DOT stuff. Location is off District Drive, on the other side of Blue Ridge Road from the N.C. Museum of Art. Details below from an effusive Gov. Bev Perdue:

Raleigh Project Gets $41.5 Million In Federal Funds; Will Provide Up To 4,200 Jobs

RALEIGH – Gov. Bev Perdue announced today that work will begin shortly on a $56 million new North Carolina National Guard Joint Force Headquarters facility that will also house offices of the state Division of Emergency Management, the State Highway Patrol and the Department of Transportation in Raleigh.  The project, which is expected to create up to 4,200 jobs, will be open to bids next week with work to start as soon as early summer and to be finished within two years.

In addition to the National Guard, the facility will provide the main offices for North Carolina’s Emergency Management division, communications for the state Department of Transportation and the triangle area communications center of the Highway Patrol.  About $41.5 million in federal funding for the facility was included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.  The remaining money comes from state general and highway trust funds that had previously been set aside for the project.

“This project is big a win for North Carolina.  It provides a state of the art facility that will better coordinate key state services and is ready to put people to work in much needed jobs,” Gov. Perdue said.

Securing money for this project was a top priority for Gov. Perdue, who personally discussed it with President Barack Obama and with North Carolina’s congressional delegation.  Fourth Congressional District Rep. David Price was instrumental in boosting the funding for the Army National Guard account in the federal recovery legislation.  Congressman Price also included language urging the National Guard to accelerate construction of the critical facility in reports accompanying the 2004, 2005, and 2007 Military Construction Appropriations bills.

“Today’s announcement comes at the end of a long and sometimes difficult process,” Price said.  “As the highest priority new construction project in the country for the National Guard, the Joint Force Headquarters is undisputedly deserving of this significant funding.  I thank Gov. Perdue and other members of our congressional delegation for their work and focus in bringing this important project to North Carolina.”

The new 237,000 square-foot facility will be located on an 18-acre site off of District Drive in Raleigh.  The existing facility will continue to be used by current National Guard offices now housed in temporary trailers.  Since September 2001, units of the N.C. National Guard have been continuously mobilized throughout the world.

The transition of the National Guard from a strategic reserve to an operational reserve requires more facilities to meet the increased service demands.  Also, bringing agencies that consistently work together under one roof, will streamline coordination and provide for more effective response in emergency situations.

Pin It

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

INDY Week publishes all kinds of comments, but we don't publish everything.

  • Comments that are not contributing to the conversation will be removed.
  • Comments that include ad hominem attacks will also be removed.
  • Please do not copy and paste the full text of a press release.

Permitted HTML:
  • To create paragraphs in your comment, type <p> at the start of a paragraph and </p> at the end of each paragraph.
  • To create bold text, type <b>bolded text</b> (please note the closing tag, </b>).
  • To create italicized text, type <i>italicized text</i> (please note the closing tag, </i>).
  • Proper web addresses will automatically become links.

Latest in News



Twitter Activity

Comments

Something has to give at the N&O or the whole enterprise will implode... or you could get a three-days-a-week paper. …

by ct on The N&O’s Performing Arts Correspondent Says the Paper Is Cutting Back on Performing Arts Reviews (News)

Wow. So the News and Observer is resigning from supporting local arts. So much for the grant proposals that will …

by John R. Harris, PhD on The N&O’s Performing Arts Correspondent Says the Paper Is Cutting Back on Performing Arts Reviews (News)

Most Recent Comments

Something has to give at the N&O or the whole enterprise will implode... or you could get a three-days-a-week paper. …

by ct on The N&O’s Performing Arts Correspondent Says the Paper Is Cutting Back on Performing Arts Reviews (News)

Wow. So the News and Observer is resigning from supporting local arts. So much for the grant proposals that will …

by John R. Harris, PhD on The N&O’s Performing Arts Correspondent Says the Paper Is Cutting Back on Performing Arts Reviews (News)

According to every report, he mishandled provisional ballots during the 2016 primary in NC, but he had no nefarious reasons …

by marksa23 on Durham Elections Worker Indicted for Mishandling March 2016 Primary Ballots (News)

To this day, that the South dare stand between
the YSA and their dreams of world conquest,
yet sticks …

by Jaddy Baddy on Duke University Removes Robert E. Lee Statue (News)

We held a Town Hall for Mr. Holding, told him over a month in advance and it was while he …

by Andrea Biondi on Constituents to Congressman George Holding: You Suck (News)

© 2017 Indy Week • 320 E. Chapel Hill St., Suite 200, Durham, NC 27701 • phone 919-286-1972 • fax 919-286-4274
RSS Feeds | Powered by Foundation