INDY Week's news blog

Archives | RSS

Friday, December 20, 2013

Cops: gun shot residue found on dead teen's hands

Posted by on Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez held a press conference this morning to address last night’s clash with protesters following the vigil and march for Jesus Huerta, which marked the one-month anniversary of his death. The teenager died Nov. 19 in the back seat of a police cruiser. According to police he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

Lopez also gave an update to the SBI investigation into Huerta's death. He said that lab analysis showed that gunshot residue was left on the gloved hands of Huerta, while no gunshot residue was left on the hands of Officer Samuel Duncan, who was driving the car.

The march started around 7 p.m. at CCB Plaza in downtown Durham last night. Participants marched down West Chapel Hill Street, where they held a vigil near police headquarters. Later, marchers returned to CCB Plaza. According to the police, bottles and rocks were thrown at officers in riot gear. The officers asked the crowd to disperse, then deployed smoke and tear gas. The standoff lasted about an hour.

During the press conference, Lopez said the officers showed restraint and ensured safety. “We used best practices in law enforcement,” he said. One demonstrator suffered a scrape during an arrest, he said. No officers were hurt.

Asked why tear gas was deployed in an area where children were present, Lopez said the use of tear gas offered better protection for children who were in danger from the sharp objects being thrown.

The police made six arrests:

• Andy Guadalupe Mendoza, 18, failure to disperse on command and resisting
• Gustavo Pascual Gutierrez, 22, trespassing (police headquarters)
• Benjamin Colt Markgraft, 20, carrying a concealed weapon (switchblade), disorderly conduct and impeding traffic
• Vianey Fuentes, 17, failure to disperse on command and resisting
• A 15-year-old juvenile female

During the press conference, more than two dozen concerned residents filled the lobby of headquarters. Afterward they expressed frustration for not being permitted to hear Lopez’s comments first-hand. They said they intended to lodge formal complaints.

Tags: , , , ,

Pin It
Chief addresses last night's standoff during press conference

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

INDY Week publishes all kinds of comments, but we don't publish everything.

  • Comments that are not contributing to the conversation will be removed.
  • Comments that include ad hominem attacks will also be removed.
  • Please do not copy and paste the full text of a press release.

Permitted HTML:
  • To create paragraphs in your comment, type <p> at the start of a paragraph and </p> at the end of each paragraph.
  • To create bold text, type <b>bolded text</b> (please note the closing tag, </b>).
  • To create italicized text, type <i>italicized text</i> (please note the closing tag, </i>).
  • Proper web addresses will automatically become links.

Latest in News

More by John H. Tucker

Facebook Activity

Twitter Activity


Wonder if this has anything to do with that Joe Vincoli kerfuffle. Boyle was certainly vocal enough about trying to …

by Mojo on DPS says top official's resignation unrelated to inmate death investigation (News)

Would that be Lorrie L. Dollar, wife of Nelson Dollar (R-ALEC36)?

by Mojo on Department of Public Safety official Ellis Boyle steps down (News)

© 2014 Indy Week • 201 W. Main St., Suite 101, Durham, NC 27701 • phone 919-286-1972 • fax 919-286-4274
RSS Feeds | Powered by Foundation