He was and then he wasn't and now he is: Former state Sen. Cal Cunningham planned to run for U.S. Senate, but the Democrat and Iraq War veteran officially announces his candidacy today. Read his official statement here: cunningham-announces-candidacy-for-us-senate
When Rep. Bob Etheridge, who many thought would challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, bowed out, it left the door open for Cunningham, who had already mulled running for the seat.
Secretary of State Elaine Marshall and Durham lawyer Ken Lewis are also vying for the Democratic nomination.
Former Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy, also a Democrat, had considered running, but opted not to last week.
"The real decisive factor for me was the more I thought about it I realized I've been in elected office now for 12 years, and the reason I decided not to run again for mayor was I feel like I'd done a lot and accomplished what'd I'd set out to do, and I wanted to do something else," he said. "When I thought about the Senate I realized that's not the something else I want to do."
Namely, the stress of campaigning and fundraising for a statewide office did not appeal to the mayor.
Foy, whose eight-year run as Chapel Hill's chief executive ends Monday, had long been considered a potential candidate. He told the Indy in August that he was consulting national and local leaders about running for Sen. Richard Burr's seat.
"I think that I need to make sure at this point that there are a lot of other people besides me who think that I'm a good candidate, and so that's the phase that I'm in now," he said then.
Lewis, a Durham lawyer, is running for U.S. Senate. If he wins the Democratic primary, he will likely face Republican Richard Burr, who has served in the Senate since 2005. Previously, Burr spent 10 years in the U.S. House.
City transportation officials and engineering consultants will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10, to present revisions to a draft plan to turn Durham's downtown Loop to a two-way thoroughfare. The session will be held in the Temple Building at 302 W. Main Street in downtown.
This is a follow-up to a meeting held in October that outlined two potential plans for converting the now one-way road to two-way traffic. The project, which has an estimated cost of $25 million, is not yet approved or funded. Check out our story that outlines some of the details >>
We also created a Google map that shows some of the points residents made in the earlier session.
Want to see the original city documents? They're posted here.
Durham city officials have set up an online survey for residents, City Council members, employees and other members of the community to gain insight on the city's strengths, weaknesses and proposed priorities. Responses will be gathered through Friday, Dec. 18.
The results will be combined with feedback from other forums, such as Coffee with Council sessions in which residents meet with the city's leadership, and presented in a strategic plan in June.
Those without online access can also fill out the survey in person. Forms are available at the city's One Call desk in the lobby of City Hall at 101 City Hall Plaza downtown.