After issues, Raleigh's Pour House sees its capacity set at 289 | Music | Indy Week
Music
INDY Week's music blog

Archives | RSS

Monday, January 14, 2013

After issues, Raleigh's Pour House sees its capacity set at 289

Posted by on Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

pour-house-logo_for-newsletter.jpg

After three frustrating weeks, Raleigh's Pour House Music Hall is once again operating at full capacity. On Dec. 21, Raleigh Deputy Fire Marshal Michael T. Furr dropped in on a show, emptying the club and counting heads as people exited. After his inspection, the marshal allowed only 142 people to re-enter. It turned out the venue's capacity had never been upgraded from its early days as a sofa bar. On Friday morning, co-owner and operator Adam Lindstaedt recieved word that the number had been upgraded to 289, just shy of the 350 he had been working at before the incident.

"We found out at like 10 a.m," he says. "By 10:30, we had the new number up on the wall. Later that night, at the show on Friday, I set the old one on fire. It was liberating. It felt very good."

Lindstaedt says that he had known the capacity issue would have to be dealt with since taking over operations from founder Eric Mullen in August. Though 289 is still a lower number than the Pour House had been working with, he is confident that it won't be a problem going forward. He explains that many of the club's patrons wander in and out throughout the night, meaning that 350 or 400 people may pay without having to all be in the bar at the same time.

Mostly, Lindstaedt is just happy that the number ended up as high as it did. He says that the building inspector who came by following the Marshal's visit explained that while the club could by most other measures hold at least 300 people, the narrow alleyway that serves as the venue's entrance would restrict that number.

"We were pleasantly surprised when we got 289 back," he says. "We all ran around in circles screaming and yelling for a couple hours. We were very happy. "

Tags: , ,

Pin It
After three frustrating weeks, the Pour House Music Hall is once again operating at full capacity.

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

INDY Week publishes all kinds of comments, but we don't publish everything.

  • Comments that are not contributing to the conversation will be removed.
  • Comments that include ad hominem attacks will also be removed.
  • Please do not copy and paste the full text of a press release.

Permitted HTML:
  • To create paragraphs in your comment, type <p> at the start of a paragraph and </p> at the end of each paragraph.
  • To create bold text, type <b>bolded text</b> (please note the closing tag, </b>).
  • To create italicized text, type <i>italicized text</i> (please note the closing tag, </i>).
  • Proper web addresses will automatically become links.

Latest in Music

More by Jordan Lawrence

Twitter Activity

Comments

I wonder whether Ry Cooder minds having his image "borrowed".

by jdlestina on Steve Oliva's poster prints join UNC's Southern Folklife Collection (Music)

What Chip said.

Also, I'm not sure why the video confounds you so, unless you're incapable of grasping all …

by GlennCraven on Concerning Delta Rae's confounding new "Scared" video (Music)

Latest videos from the INDY

© 2015 Indy Week • 201 W. Main St., Suite 101, Durham, NC 27701 • phone 919-286-1972 • fax 919-286-4274
RSS Feeds | Powered by Foundation