2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 habanero pepper
1/4 tsp. chilli powder or to taste for spiciness
1 lb. orange sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
1 butternut squash, peeled & diced
1 1/4 lbs. carrots, peeled & sliced
6 cups chicken stock
8 oz. cooked lentils, drained & rinsed
juice from 1/2 of a small orange
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring
often, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in coriander, cumin,
chili powder and habanero pepper.
- Cook, stirring,
for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato, squash
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add stock. Cover.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to
medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally,
for 20 minutes.
- Add lentils to soup and simmer,
covered, for 10 minutes or until lentils, sweet
potatoes and squash are tender.
- Blend soup, in
batches, for desired smoothness.
- Return to saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Heat, stirring, until hot (do
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top with croutons, if desired.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
Appeared in print on 10.15.08.