click to enlarge
The Triangle's music clubs have days of Halloween parties planned. Take your pick, or take your chances wandering Franklin Street.
SATURDAY, OCT. 27
- 14th Annual Phat Smashing Pumpkin Jam @ The Pour House: Someone is going to vamp on Corgan, don't you know? $5/ 9 p.m.
- The Fifth, Jonin @ Volume 11: Rightly, the area's new metal club throws two Halloween bashes for Year One. This is the first: Fayetteville's The Fifth makes thrash-heavy metal with chainsaw guitars and growling vocals, while Raleigh's Jonin throws harmonies into its rawness, balancing razor-sharp guitars against surfer-boy charm. 8 p.m.
TUESDAY, OCT. 30
- Pagan Spook Festival @ Nightlight: Crowmeat Bob and pal Thom Donellas burn up the stage with reeds, guitar and piano, and Cab Calligari (Steve Burnett and Randy Pelosi) burn through fierce drones with bows and strings. The spook includes old horror flicks, other projections and Demon Dub. 9:30 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 31
- Dead Celebrity Party @ The Cave: Rock out like a ghoul from the vaults of E! at this costume party. The soundtrack is provided by HWYL! (the Triangle's own alternative Celt-rockers) and Kitty Box & the Johnnys. Free/ 10 p.m.
- Dexter Romweber and the New Romans, Evil Weiner @ Local 506: Guitar-god Dexter Romweber's Silvertone crashes and winds its way through scorching rock. Catch him tonight with belly dancers and Evil Wiener, or get a solo sneak peak Tuesday at The Cave. Free/ 10 p.m.
- Fanzig @ Reservoir: Chapel Hill alt.rock band Saints Will Do drops its own songs for a night and becomes Fanzig, a Misfits tribute band. Will they play "Halloween" and "Halloween II"? Free/ 10 p.m.
- Ghoulish Pajama Band @ Lincoln Theatre: Raleigh's Barefoot Manner lays down hot licks of bluegrass with a Grateful Dead edge, while Crave splits college-rock charm with Hootie nostalgia. Don't forget your nightie. $10/ 9 p.m.
- Hand of Doom @ Hell: Brave the Franklin Street mob to see The Misfits at Reservoir and Black Sabbath in Hell, with a stop for Dexter along the way. Perfect night. $10/ 9 p.m.
- Nada Surf @ Cat's Cradle: New York poppers Nada play the Cradle and bring a chance for Ramones karaoke. For more, see left. With Sea Wolf and Barghest. $17/ 9 p.m.
- Slaves to Addiction @ Volume 11: Ghoulish vocals over a plodding-to-pummeling base, Wilson's Slaves to Addiction headline Volume 11's second night of Halloweeen mayhem. 8 p.m.
- Spiderbags, Gondoliers @ Fuse: Chapel Hill's Spider Bags make alt.country for weary-hearted rockers with the hard-edged stutter of Cash, while The Gondoliers (see page 45) come straight out of the garage to the stage. Two party bands worth seeing. Free/ 9 p.m.
: The band covering The Misfits is Saints Will Do, not Saints Will Destroy.