In last week's Best of the Triangle issue, our writers declared the fiasco surrounding the legislature's decision to use SolarBees to clean up the polluted Jordan Lake—which provides drinking water to three hundred thousand people in Wake and Chatham counties—the Best Boondoggle. Medora Corporation, which manufacturers SolarBees, took issue with that assessment.
"Actually, Jordan Lake is in great shape," writes Medora president Joel Bleth. "Over 90 percent of the lake meets DEQ standards 100 percent of the time, and the other 10 percent is above DEQ standards over 80 percent of the time. The state spent less than $2 million renting SolarBees, and most of that money was spent by Medora in valuable water-quality testing of Jordan Lake. Medora's data, collected far more often than DEQ's, shows the machines have made a difference. They could make more of a difference if Jordan Lake's water quality goes down in the future and/or other accessories are put onto the machine. For the proposed $2 billion in watershed protection, the state could rent the SolarBees for two thousand years, but experience in other watersheds indicates the $2 billion would not affect Jordan Lake's water quality one iota. The legislature has done the right thing."
Commenter acetylcarnitine pans food critic Angela Perez's pan of Makus Empanadas. "The way this article is written clearly indicates that Ms. Perez was more interested in showing off her intelligence than providing a thoughtful critique of the restaurant. When reading just the portions of the article about the food, the result is a mixed-to-positive experience. ... However, the rest of the superfluous details set a snarky, derogatory tone that belies the most pertinent content."
And finally, our blog on Governor McCrory's halfhearted endorsement of Donald Trump lit up the Facebook comments: "I mean, are we supposed to be surprised?" asks Christin Byrd.
"Hapless Patty lived on his knees so long at Duke Energy and for the Republican Party that he has totally forgotten how to stand up on his own two feet," adds Mike Hanes.
"Maybe someday McCrory will put the people of North Carolina and the nation ahead of blind party unity," writes Chris Howell. "With a little luck, both McCrory's and Trump's political careers will come to an end in November."
Our writers declared Everyday Magic, a store that sells dream catchers and the like, the Best Place to Ponder Cultural Appreciation. Some readers didn't take kindly to that characterization.
One, posting under not a mean girl, responds thusly: "Some people were attacking this shop for selling dream catchers during their opening, only to be hushed when the young man who makes them affirmed that he is, in fact, Native American. What is it with Durham thinking it's so much cooler than everyone else these days? The people who care about and hold cultural capital in this town practically advertise their racism and end up being praised for how 'interesting' they are. My theory is that this particular phase of Durham's identity as an 'up and coming' (gentrifying) city has thrown at least a portion of our local culture into an ugly adolescence with all this talk about what's in and what's new and where's the best place to eat or the tallest roof to see and be seen, etc. And that means the 'Durham cool crowd' (which, as far as I can see, is largely comprised of waify hipsters who descended on Durham in the past seven years from places like Los Angeles) and even professional writers start tripping like they're the mean girls in high school."
Meanwhile, on Facebook, Cathy Teasley took umbrage at our report linking Durham's tree canopy to historical racism. "Why would you even consider commenting and making this a race issue?" she writes. "I have lived in Durham sixty years. This is not a race issue. This is a class issue. Trees were not planted in the poor white neighborhoods, either, only in the rich folks' neighborhoods."
And finally, commenter acetylcarnitine pans food critic Angela Perez's pan of Durham's Makus Empanadas. "The way this article is written clearly indicates that Ms. Perez was more interested in showing off her intelligence than providing a thoughtful critique of the restaurant. When reading just the portions of the article about the food, the result is a mixed-to-positive experience. ... However, the rest of the superfluous details set a snarky, derogatory tone that belies the most pertinent content."