Name as it Appears on the Ballot: Ernest T. Reeves
Date of Birth: N/A
Campaign Web Site: www.ernestreeves.com
Occupation & Employer: Retired US Military Officer (Self)
Home Phone: 252-364-2481
Twitter handle, if applicable: @ETRNC
1. If elected to the Senate, what is your highest priority for the next Congress? Please discuss what you would do to help it be achieved.
2. Should the filibuster rules be changed so that the Senate becomes a more democratic, i.e., rule by majority institution?
3. As a result of Citizens United and related factors, so-called “dark money” is pouring into American political campaigns without voters knowing where it came from. Do you favor or oppose measures to require that contributors be identified when their money is used to pay for political ads and other activities?
I favor knowing where the money comes from.
4. The American economy is not producing enough jobs for everyone who wants one, especially not enough jobs that pay enough to support a family. Conservative critics say the reason is too much federal spending which crowds out private investment. Critics on the left say there’s not enough public investment in job-producing sectors, while private capital is flowing to other countries. Where do you come down on this issue?
We need more jobs and I am in favor of creating federal programs to increase job opportunities (bridges, roads, airports, High Speed Rail, etc).
5. Do you support increasing the federal minimum wage? If so, to what amount? And should it be indexed for inflation?
Yes, $10.00 an hour.
6. On the Affordable Care Act, what should the next Congress do? Repeal it? Change it? If so, how?
Keep it. Congress should make it better than it is now.
7. Should undocumented immigrants be offered a path to citizenship? If so, what requirements would you impose? How should the law treat undocumented young adults and children who’ve grown up in the U.S. after being brought here by their parents?
No comment at this time. I do favor immigration reform.
8. Do you think climate change is a serious, even urgent problem? Do you think human beings are causing it? What environmental policies should the U.S. adopt to combat climate change, if any?
Climate change is serious. I believe that humans can do more to protect the environment. No comment on what policies should be adopted at this time.
9. Is it time to pass a federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) to protect the rights of LGBTQ people in the workplace?
No comment at this time. I am in favor of protecting the rights of all citizens regardless of sexual orientation.
10. Should union organizing be facilitated by changes to labor laws, including the proposed Employee Free Choice Act (ECRA)?
11. Do you support or oppose increasing tax rates on the wealthy, either to reduce federal debt or as part of a package to raise money for public investments and/or cut taxes for the middle-class?
No comment at this time. I know this, if you make more you should pay more. It’s no way that a CEO should pay less than his or her driver.
12.What do you think of Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s idea of expanding Social Security benefits as private pensions become less and less common?
I am open to debate on expanding Social Security benefits.