click to enlarge
Pie Crust Ingredients:
Makes (2) 8- inch pie crusts
- 1 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch OR cornstarch
- 1/4 cup amaranth flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum OR guar gum
- 1 tablespoon or more ice water
- 1 large, lightly beaten egg
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold, cubed butter
- 3/4- 1 cup sugar
(If using a tart variety of apples, use more sugar)
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour OR tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cubed butter
- 7 cups peeled apples,
sliced 1/4- inch thick (about 2 1/2 pounds)
Pie Crust Preparation:
- Pour the dry ingredients into a food processor bowl, fitted with a metal blade. Pulse to mix.
- Add the cold butter cubes and pulse until the butter cubes are reduced to the size of peas and the mixture looks like coarse, dry crumbs
- Add slightly beaten egg and pulse just until egg is incorporated into the flour- butter mix.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ice water and pulse several times. Remove the processor lid and squeeze a small amount of dough in your hand. If it holds together you don't add more water. If the dough is too crumbly and dry, add 1/4 teaspoon additional ice water and pulse several more times. Check the consistency of the dough again. If the dough holds together and you can form a ball, don't add more water. Adding too much water will make the dough sticky and harder to roll out and shape.
- Scrape the dough, which will look crumbly, onto a clean, gluten free work surface covered with waxed paper. Gather the crumbly dough into a ball. Divide in half. Flatten each half into a large disk shape. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least one hour before rolling out the dough. (At this stage, the dough can be frozen. Place wax paper wrapped dough into freezer bag, label and freeze for future use.)
- To roll dough: Remove dough from refrigerator and place dough between two sheets of wax paper. Let dough sit just until it's soft enough to roll. When workable, roll lightly from the center outward, working to make a circle about 10 inches in diameter and about 1/8- inch thick. If the dough should get too warm and sticky, place it in the freezer for several minutes and then continue rolling it.
- Peel top sheet of wax paper from the dough, leaving the remaining sheet of waxed paper attached, and carefully flip the dough over pie plate. Gently peel the waxed paper from the dough.
- Gently press the dough into the pie plate.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Roll out half of dough and place in a 8- inch pie plate.
- Combine sugar, sweet rice flour OR tapioca flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and use whisk to thouroughly blend ingredients.
- Add sliced apples and gently coat apples with sugar mixture.
- Pour apples into dough- lined pie plate and distribute them evenly.
- Dot the top of the apples with cubed butter.
- Roll out top crust and place over apples. Press edges to seal dough, trim and use your favorite method to flute the edges (press with fork tines, etc.). Cut or poke several small vents in the top of the pie crust.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Check frequently. if edges are brown too quickly, place a strip of foil around the edge to prevent burning.
- Allow pie to cool for several minutes before cutting.
Appeared in print 11.25.09