BURMA VJ--the story of underground reporters who risked their lives to capture video images of a military crackdown in Burma--cleaned up at this year's festival, picking up a total of three awards, including the Grand Jury Award. THE WAY WE GET BY, UNMISTAKEN CHILD, VOICES FROM EL-SAYED, LOVE ON DELIVERY and the shorts OIL BLUE and 12 NOTES DOWN also took home awards. The full list, including honorable mentions, after the jump.
· Anne Dellinger Grand Jury Award – “Burma VJ - Reporting from a Closed Country” directed by Andres Østergaard
Special Jury Award – “Unmistaken Child” directed by Nati Baratz
Sponsored by Alpha Cine Labs, Seattle and cash award provided by Anne and Walter Dellinger.
· Full Frame Jury Award for Best Short – “12 Notes Down” directed by Andreas Koefoed
Honorable Mention – “La Chirola” directed by Diego Mondaca
Honorable Mention – “The Flying Shepherd” directed by Catalin Musat
Sponsored by Eastman Kodak and cash award provided by Drs. Andrew and Barbra Rothschild.
· Center for Documentary Studies Filmmaker Award – “Burma VJ - Reporting from a Closed Country” directed by Andres Østergaard
Sponsored by the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University. This award honors a documentary artist whose work is a potential catalyst for education and change.
· The Charles E. Guggenheim Emerging Artist Award – “Voices from El-Sayed”
Honorable Mention – “Unmistaken Child” directed by Nati Baratz
Honorable Mention – “William Kunstler: Disturbing the Universe” directed by Sara Kunstler and Emily Kunstler
Provided by the Charles E. Guggenheim family. This prize honors a first-time documentary feature director.
· Full Frame Audience Award – “The Way We Get By” directed by Aron Gaudet
Sponsored by the Doc Arts Board of Directors. The Audience Award is determined by counting audience ballots filled out during the four day Festival.
· HBO Emerging Filmmaker Award – “Love on Delivery” directed by Janus Metz
Honorable Mention – “45365” directed by Bill Ross and Turner Ross
Honorable Mention – “California Company Town” directed by Lee Anne Schmitt
Sponsored by HBO Documentary Films. This award honors first- or second-time feature filmmakers in both the director and producer roles.
· Full Frame Inspiration Award – “Unmistaken Child” directed by Nati Baratz
Sponsored by the Hartley Film Foundation. This award is presented to the film that best exemplifies the value and relevance of world religions and spirituality.
· Full Frame President’s Award – “Oil Blue” directed by Elli Rintala
Sponsored by Duke University. Aimed at recognizing up-and-coming filmmakers, this prize is awarded to the best student film.
· Full Frame / Working Films Award – “Burma VJ - Reporting from a Closed Country” directed by Andres Østergaard
Sponsored by the Ettinger Foundation and Chicken & Egg Pictures and Working Films. This prize is awarded to the film that has the greatest potential for supporting serious grassroots organizing and social change.
· The Kathleen Bryan Edwards Award for Human Rights – “Shouting Fire: Stories from the Edge of Free Speech” directed by Liz Garbus
Sponsored by the Julian Price Family Foundation. Award is presented to a film that addresses a significant human rights issue in the United States.