2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup of diced celery
1 lb. of Italian sausage pork, turkey, or chicken (casings removed)
1 tablespoon fresh or 2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp. fresh thyme
1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 loaves of gluten-free sun-dried tomato bread or any gluten-free bread
1 cup of Parmesan cheese (or dairy free parmesan cheese alternative)
1 cup cooked, diced ham
salt and Pepper to taste
1. Over medium heat, in 5 qt. sauce pan, add olive oil and onions and saute until translucent. Add celery and simmer for another 5 minutes.
2. Remove casing from the Italian sausage and add to pan. Brown sausage and add fresh herbs, pine nuts, and salt and pepper.
3. Break up GF bread with hands into one inch size chunks. Lightly dampen with water and squeeze out any moisture before adding to the pan.
4. Add Parmesan and ham to pan and stir allowing the bread to mix with other ingredients and until will incorporate and any excess moisture is dried out.
5. Place in the refrigerator (best made the day before). Remove 1/2 hour before stuffing your turkey and add two eggs over to the stuffing mixture. Mix into stuffing with hand or large wooden spoon. Cook with your bird. It's also great with roast pork, chicken, and wild game.
Recipe provided courtesy of Dana D.
From The Gluten Free Italian Cookbook, Classic Cuisine from the Italian Countryside, by Mary Capone, Copyright 2008.